site image

Family members of the deceased may be eligible to receive social security benefits. When someone passes away, the Social Security Administration should be notified as soon as possible to ensure that the family is able to receive benefits. Survivor benefits cannot be applied for online. A social security representative can be reached by phone, Monday-Friday, at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). 

If you are receiving benefits from a spouse’s or parents record, you can automatically receive monthly benefits after the report of death. A payment of $255 can be paid out to the surviving spouse, or a spouse or a child who is eligible for a Social Security benefit based on the deceased person’s record during the month of death. 

There are several documents that you may need to provide in this case:

  • Proof of the death
  • Your birth certificate
  • U.S. military discharge papers
  • Proof of marriage 
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship

There are several other instances where family members may be eligible to receive social security monthly benefits. Those include:

  • A divorced spouse
  • An unmarried child of the decease under the age of 18
  • Parents older than age 62 who were dependent on the deceased
  • A widow or widower older than age 60

If you have any further questions about social security benefits, the Social Security Administration website will be your most useful resource. You can also call them at the number listed at the top of this page. If they do not pick up, you can still receive automated phone information 24 hours a day. 

We are also available to answer questions here at Fort Worth Funerals and Cremations, whether those be about social security benefits or other procedures after the report of death. Visit our contact page to get in touch with us. 

In this section

Frequent Questions

Grief Support

Social Security Benefits

Upon Death


© 2023 Fort Worth Funerals & Cremations. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Accessibility