site image

A Military Funerals Honor (MFH) ceremony is structured by the Department of Defense and is structured to honor Veterans who have defended our nation. The ceremony involves the playing of Taps and presentation of the United States flag to the veteran’s family. At Fort Worth Funerals and Cremations, we are able to help people through end-of-life procedures for the veteran in their life to help give them the recognition that they deserve. 

Military units are required to provide a minimum of two uniformed personnel to present the funeral honors ceremony. At least one of these individuals will be from the member of the armed forces that the deceased veteran served. These officers will handle the folding and presentation of the flag as well as a ceremonial bugle and the playing of Taps. A bugler may perform Taps, or a high-quality recording may be used as a second option. The flag represents the veteran’s service to our country, and is draped over the casket before being folded into a tri-cornered shape and being presented to the veteran’s family. 

Other Military Funeral Honors Available:

  • A rifle detail
  • Service-connected pallbearers
  • A flag bearing color guard 
  • A military flyover

Who is eligible for military funeral honors? 

  • Military members who died while on active duty. 
  • Former military members who were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.
  • Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

The following are not eligible for military funeral honors: 

  • Any person convicted of a crime and sentenced to life imprisonment or death.
  • Any person separated from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions or whose character of service results in a bar to veteran's benefits. 
  • Any person who was ordered to report to an induction station, but was not actually inducted into military service. 
  • Any person discharged from the Selected Reserve prior to completing one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service for reasons other than a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

How to establish veteran eligibility: 

According to the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs, a DD Form 214: Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active duty is required. This can be supplemented by any discharge document showing honorable service. You can complete a Standard Form 180 to obtain the DD Form 214.   

If you want to be buried in a VA national cemetery, there are several things you can do to make the burial planning process easier for your family. This involves selecting a cemetery where you want to be buried, gathering supporting documents, and filling out an application to determine eligibility. 

Are there other groups eligible to receive funeral honors? 

Members of the Commissioned Officer Corps of the Public Health Service (PHS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), as members of a Uniformed Service, are also eligible to receive funeral honors.

For NOAA personnel, eligibility is established using NOAA Form 56-16, Report of Transfer or Discharge. If the family does not have a copy of the NOAA Form 56-16, it may be obtained by contacting the Chief, Officer Services Division, NOAA Commissioned Personnel Center at (301) 713-7715. 

For PHS personnel, funeral honors eligibility is established using PHS Form 1867, Statement of Service (equivalent to the DD Form 214). If the family does not have a copy of the Statement of Service, it may be obtained by contacting the Privacy Coordinator for the Commissioned Corps at (240) 453-6041.


In this section

Veterans Overview

Veterans Headstones

Veterans Burial Flags

© 2023 Fort Worth Funerals & Cremations. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Accessibility